Hamster

Adopting an old hamster?

2018-03-21 12:42 #0 by: Leia

Do you have any tips for fetching home an old hamster?

For instance:

• How to make the journey for comfortable?
  • How long to should you let them adjust to there new environment?

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

2018-03-22 23:39 #1 by: Granja Del Toro

I have noticed that older hamsters do tend to adjust more quicker, than babies. How ever, I do not recommend getting any older hamster than max 1 year of age, if you want to get an older hamster. Moving around hamsters that are over 1 ears and 2 months to 2 years old can get pretty stressful and the older they are the more stressful it is for them. 

When you go get a hamster, wetter it is a baby or a bit older one, have a suitable transportation box, but bedding (wood shavings), some ripped toilet paper. A toilet paper pipe is also good if they feel uncomfortable and want to hide. Some seeds in and a piece of cucumber is always a must to put in the transportation box too, so they get liquid when they get thirsty and something to eat when they get hungry...Also during the winter, use a quilt to cover the box to keep it warm but it should still need to get air...Glad

Also bear in mind that if you get an older hamster you will not have as much time with him before he passes away of age, like if you took a 6 weeks to 8 weeks old hamster pup...

How long it takes for the hamster to adjust, depends from hamster to hamster. Some hamsters adjust very fast and can take up to 2- 7 days. Others it can take from 2 weeks to up to 2 months, till they get used with you and the surroundings. Usually hamsters from breeders normally take 2- 7 days to adjust to their new owner and surroundings. But like i said, it depends on hamster to hamster how long they need to fully adjust to their new owners and surroundings.

2018-03-23 17:27 #2 by: Leia

This is great advice! Thank-you so much.

All the best, Leia

Host of  Gluten-Free Living | News  | English Language Heart

2018-04-05 13:27 #3 by: Granja Del Toro

#2 You are welcome Glad

Become a member

To participate in the discussion, you must first become a member. It is quick, simple and free. The membership gives you access to all our communities.